6.14.2011

What sparked my return to Digknity

Digknity has been in the back of my mind for years, just waiting for the appropriate motivation or maybe just the realization that I can't put it off any longer. I'm not sure where this will lead, but for now I know that I need to write.

So blogging commences.

And it started with this trailer for a documentary being made possible with Kickstarter. It's about sex trafficking in the United States. What really struck me was the retelling of how a pimp finds underage girls at the mall around the 0:56 mark. Ambassador Swanee Hunt (founder of Demand Abolition) relays:

"An FBI agent was interviewing a pimp, so he said, 'Where do you find your girls?' And he said, 'I go to a shopping mall. And I look around for a girl who's by herself and I say, "You know, you have really pretty eyes."' And if she looks him back in the face and says, 'Well, thanks,' then he said, 'I just keep going.' And if she looks down at her feet and says, 'No, I don't.' He said, 'I know I've got her.'"

As I've been learning more about human trafficking, particularly sex trafficking of young girls, I'm convinced that a significant step that we can take in fighting this atrocity is building confidence and a healthy self-perspective into our young women. I realize that there is SO MUCH MORE to this issue and so many more drastic measures that need to be implemented, but this small aspect is something I'm passionate about and something we can work to change right here and now. I assure you that we will dive deeper into this discussion.

For now, I invite you to support Trade In Hope's film and let me know your thoughts on the trailer.

Have you ever considered that here in the U.S., your child is not protected from being kidnapped and sold into slavery? What measures are you taking or would you take to protect them?

As a girl, can you point to any instances or people who shaped your self esteem and how you view yourself and your worth? How do you consciously interact with your daughter or your sister or your friends to ensure that you're not perpetuating the cycle?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

If you have time pick up Reviving Ophelia. It is a psych book about improving the self esteem of girls. I didn't read all of it yet but I figure I have 12 years...

Digknity said...

You know, I'm pretty sure I used to see that book sitting on my mom's nightstand when I was growing up... Maybe that's her secret. :)