10.19.2011

Miss Representation

Have you seen the trailer for "Miss Representation" circling Facebook? I finally checked it out today, only to discover that this intriguing documentary is airing on OWN (Oprah's channel) tomorrow night at 8 ET/9 CT. While I would love to attend a screening, or even host one, time does not permit me to do that right now and there are no showings anywhere I'm going to be over the next few months. So I'm having my friends DVR it and I'll review it.

Some things already stuck out to me in the trailer though. For one, Jennifer Pozner claims that the media is to blame and it's not our fault that women are portrayed sexually, devalued, etc. etc. etc. I disagree and plan to elaborate on that later. Second, this statistic left me flabbergasted: "Women hold only 3% of clout positions in telecommunications, entertainment, publishing, and advertising." THREE PERCENT?! That's astonishing, and quite frankly, telling.

So if you have cable, this is my post encouraging you to check out this documentary. Or better yet, find a screening near you. Even better still, host one where they haven't got one yet!

1 comment:

Jenee Allan said...

Thanks for posting I didnt know it was going to be on tv. It was a very informative trailer and although I didnt agree with all of it like you said it was a good message overall.